If I Leave Money to a Disabled Child Will it Have to Go to the Government?

Not if you plan properly. The creation of a special needs trust (also known as a supplemental needs trust) can allow you to leave money for a child with special needs or other disabled loved one without causing them to have to spend those assets for their care before qualifying for government benefits. This type of trust is specially designed to let disabled individuals keep trust assets while also getting the government assistance they need.